We are looking forward to seeing everyone back on the Forty Acres this weekend for the 56th Annual Longhorn Alumni Band Day Reunion. For those of you who will be attending (over 600+ registered), we are excited to see you again on campus!
As your outgoing LHAB President for 2018-19, I am honored and excited to have served in this position. THANK YOU to all of our LHAB Officers, Board of Directors, field operations, section leaders, volunteers and LHB/KKY/TBS students who are working extremely hard to make a successful Alumni Band Day. Without their dedication and commitment, we couldn’t pull off the weekend’s events and create an enjoyable and memorable experience for our members.
On behalf of LHAB, I want to say thank you to Dr. Scott Hanna, Professor Jerry Junkin, and the entire Longhorn Band faculty and staff, as they are huge supporters and advocates of LHAB. They provide immense support in manpower, supplies and financial support when needed and they are committed to our success and growth. We are one large family and we’re very grateful for everyone connected with LHB.
If you’re unable to make Band Day, we’ll post the Band Day Program on the website for you to read. And please don’t forget to signup again and submit your membership dues to remain in ‘good standing’ with LHAB. Your participation and support help to keep this organization running. You can download Mail-in dues form here: PDF Registration form
The LHAB/LHB Family:
As Dr. Hanna and I like to say “We’re all one big family – the only difference is there are some who are enrolled students, and the rest are graduated”. Therefore, I also highly encourage everyone to spend some time meeting the younger new members and introducing them to other section members. Please greet and introduce yourselves to the Longhorn Band student musicians, too. By these simple acts, we can maintain our continuity and fellowship among banders.
Each band day, we have a huge opportunity in recruiting for LHAB. We have a large block of new LHAB members over the past several years, and as seasoned alumni band day members, I encourage you to enthusiastically welcome these new members on board and get to know them better. Let’s ALL give them an exciting experience and encourage them to return to future LHAB events. These new members are the future leaders and the legacy of LHAB.
Speaking of a very important LHB/LHAB legacy family member, we mourn the passing of Moton Crockett, Jr. Each of us owes a debt of gratitude to Mr. Crockett for his stewardship and support of the Longhorn Band throughout his life. A memorial service for Mr. Crockett will take place on Sunday, October 20 at Central Presbyterian Church beginning at 2:00 p.m. I hope many of you are able to attend that event.
We’ll have some special recognitions in our program for him. If you would like to send his family a message, please send to Elane Crockett: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like to make an honorary contribution to the endowment he created for Big Bertha – giving.utexas.edu/bigbertha
What happened in 2018-19?
WOW – what an incredible year! Here are some highlights of our accomplishments over the past year:
• LHAB attended the historical 75th Anniversary of D-Day landing in Normandy with 535 travelers, 300 of which were LHAB performers who played 4 musical events in France over 7 days. (A recap is provided in the band day program)
• Global press coverage of 85 media segments from the Normandy trip garnered over 1.5 Million viewers of broadcast video segments; 8.0 Million in global website audience impressions; 40,000+ in radio audience listeners; $550,000 in publicity media value.
• Attended the National Association of Alumni Bands (NAoAB) Symposium hosted by the University of Washington Husky Band with the formal creation of NAoAB chartering and documents.
• Relocated all LHAB owned equipment and instruments from the off-site storage unit to a new site in the LHB band hall basement. This included a major move and cleaning/repair of all the sousaphones, baritones and other items.
• Presented LHB members with a token from LHAB, “Longhorn Band” dri-fit t-shirts to supplement the student official uniform. An annual tradition from LHAB to LHB.
• Created the first LHAB Football Tailgate event near the LHB band hall with 4 vendor sponsorships as a fundraiser for donor dollars for scholarships, fellowship, and festivities prior to home games.
• Creation of several new committees to aid in the operations of the LHAB organization: Events Committee, Section & Decade representatives, Communications Committee, and Historical Archives Project Committee.
• Held the 4th LHAB Scholarship Awards Event where LHAB/BOT distributed a record $250,760 in scholarships to 127 recipients.
LHAB was started in 1964 by young passionate and energetic alumni who had a love for the Longhorn Band and wanted to have annual band reunions with purposeful intentions in sustaining the Longhorn Band through scholarship campaigns. WOW – did we hit the mark this year. THANK YOU to all the donors!
Where do LHAB members live in the U.S.?
This is just a representation of our membership by instrumentation currently in our LHAB database. We have additional members to make contact with to update our records.
Band Day Survey coming soon!
Right after the weekend events, we’ll send out the 2019 Band Day Survey and we would appreciate it if you would complete the survey and provide us with important feedback. We want to hear from you!!!
This organization is made up of all of YOU and each person has a part in LHAB.
Thank you and Hook ‘em Horns!
LHAB President 2018-19
Music and Equipment for Band Day 2019
Good morning LHAB
We hope that you are gearing up for Band Day 2019 and have completed your registration! If you have recently decided to attend, click HERE to register online. Please remember that the deadline to register is next Monday, October 14th, at 5:00pm!
Walk up registration will only be available on Friday, Oct. 18th (it will not be available on Saturday the 19th), but it is best to register in advance as walk up spots are not guaranteed. Although the deadline to order guest tickets has passed, you may still request to be on the waiting list by using the “Contact Us” form on the LHAB website. Any extra guest tickets that we receive will be allocated in the order requested.
Please remember that music folders with paper copies will no longer be available on game day
, so it will be helpful to print the music in advance and bring your own music with you to Band Day. Music downloads can be accessed via the LHAB Member Area of the website and click on the Music tab.
Music is categorized by Halftime, Traditionals, and Stand-Parade. Music to be performed jointly with LHB will be Wabash Cannonball and We are the Champions.
INSTRUMENT CHECK OUT
Any performer who needs to rent an instrument from LHAB will be on a first-come-first-served basis. Instrument check out will take place in the basement of the Band Hall near the LHB Uniform Room. Instruments may be checked out on Friday, October 18 from 5 PM until 8 PM and on Saturday, October 19 from 8:00 AM until 9:00 AM. Please remember that instruments will NOT be available at the Bubble for check out.
Special note for Tubas/Sousaphone players: please bring your own mouthpieces! We want to make sure that you have a great playing experience. Horns/mello players are encouraged to bring your own mouthpieces as well.
Big Flags, Silks, and flag straps will be checked out at the Bubble on Saturday morning as usual. #BandDay2019
2019 Longhorn Alumni Band Weekend Schedule and Parking/Shuttle Information
We hope that you plan to attend Band Day 2019 and have completed your registration! If you have recently decided to join in the fun, click HERE to register online. Below is the preliminary schedule and parking/shuttle information for the weekend. There may be details that are subject to change as we receive additional information, but we hope that this will be helpful as you make travel plans and arrangements.
Friday, October 18, 2019
5:00 pm – 8:00 pm: Name Tag Pickup (Music Building), Late Registration
5:00 pm – 8:00 pm: Instrument Checkout (Music Building Basement)
5:00 pm – 7:00 pm: LHAB Swag Sales (Music Building Hallway)
6:15 pm – 6:45 pm: UT Club Pep Rally
7:00 pm – 9:00 pm: LHAB Business Meeting and Rehearsal (Band Hall)
8:30 pm – 9:30 pm: LHAB Swag Sales (Music Building Hallway)
9:00 pm – 9:30 pm: Instrument Checkout (Music Building Basement)
Saturday, October 19, 2019
7:00 am: LHAB Shuttle Begins at Speedway Parking Garage
8:00 am – 9:00 am: Pick up Name Tags and BBQ Wristbands at the Band Hall
8:00 am – 9:00 am: Instrument Checkout (Music Building Basement)
8:00 am – 9:00 am: LHAB Swag Sales (Music Building Hallway)
8:30 am – 9:00 am: LHAB Section Leader Meeting in the Byrd Room
9:00 am – 9:15 am: LHAB Shuttle or Walk to the Bubble
9:15 am – 9:30 am: LHAB Members Load into the Bubble
9:20 am – 9:35 am: Big Flag Sectional on the 50 (back sideline)
9:30 am – 11:30 am: LHAB Playing and Marching Rehearsal in the Bubble
11:30 am – 12:00 pm: Combined Rehearsal with LHB in the Bubble
12:00 pm – 1:00 pm: Pick up Name Tags and BBQ Wristbands at the Band Hall
12:30 pm – 2:00 pm: LHAB BBQ Meal in the Breezeway
1:00 pm – 3:00 pm: LHAB Swag Sales (Music Building Hallway)
2:15 pm – 4:15 pm: LHAB Pick up Vests (must be in full uniform)
2:30 pm: Depart for Bevo Blvd
2:45 pm: Bevo Blvd
3:30 pm: Depart for Stadium Stampede
3:45 pm: Stadium Stampede
4:35 pm: LHAB Line-Up for March Down
4:50 pm: LHAB Step Off for March Down
6:00 pm: Kickoff – BTHOOKU!!!!!
PARKING INFORMATION Friday, October 18, 2019
Alumni can use this link to preorder parking: https://utparking.clickandpark.com/
Select “College of Fine Arts/Texas Performing Arts” and then select the dates you need. You will see ‘OCT 1, October Events’ and will need to click “Find Parking”. Then choose the date you need to park – OCT 18.
Other options for parking on Friday evening are the San Jacinto Garage and metered street parking on Dean Keeton.
Saturday, October 19, 2019
Location: Speedway Garage
Discount Code: WALLTOWALL
Select – “DKR-Texas Memorial” for parking, then SPEEDWAY garage.
1. On Saturday morning, two shuttles will make multiple trips to pick up LHAB members from the Speedway Garage Stop and drop them off at the Band Hall Stop.
2. Prior to LHAB practice, two shuttles will make multiple trips to pick up LHAB members from the Speedway Garage Stop and the Band Hall Stop to drop them off at the Bubble Stop.
3. Following LHAB practice, two shuttles will make multiple loops from the Speedway Garage Stop, the Band Hall Stop and the Bubble Stop to drop members at their car and/or the Band Hall. Please allow seasoned veterans, the disabled, and parents with young children to board first.
4. After the game, two shuttles will make multiple loops for 75 minutes to pick up LHAB members from the Band Hall Stop and drop them off at the Speedway Garage Stop.
1. Speedway Garage Stop: bus stop outside garage entrance on speedway
2. Band Hall Stop: former co-op lot (northwest corner of Medical Arts and Dean Keeton)
3. Bubble Stop: outside bubble gates on Red River.
We can’t wait to see you at Band Day, and we look forward to enjoying the beautiful evening game time with you! #BandDay2019
2019 Alumni Band Day
We hope that you are planning to take part in this year’s Longhorn Alumni Band Day Weekend on October 18-19, 2019! We will be playing Kansas on Saturday the 19th with a 6:00 pm kickoff.
We are looking forward to another wonderful Longhorn Alumni Band Day! If you haven’t already done so, please start contacting your friends from your section and making arrangements to attend. The Alumni Band Day recruiting motto is “Tell a Friend, Bring a Friend” – we anticipate an incredible turnout for the 2019 Band Day!
You don’t have to march to participate in Alumni Band Day. We encourage alumni to join the reunion even if you don’t march. Come be a part of the fellowship, watch the rehearsal, enjoy lunch with bandmates, go to the game and support the halftime show of all LHAB/LHB members on the field together as one big band family.
PLEASE READ the entire edition of The Blast as it contains information that you need to know about our fun-filled weekend with your Alumni Band friends.
Click HERE to go to The Blast.
Welcome back to the 40 Acres! #Hookem #BTHOOKU